Second Hand Smoke
It of great importance to take note of the fact that second hand smoke can cause cancer. It is just as deadly if one is exposed to it for prolonged periods of time. It behoves a smoker to take extreme caution whenever they are engaging in their smoking activities because they owe it to the general public to take care of anyone and everyone around them who does not smoke.
Individuals have fallen sick thinking that they are suffering from a normal cough. They have then gone ahead to put off going to hospital for lengths of time only for them to get worse. It is usually a sad case when they go to see a doctor and they are told that it is too late to salvage the situation. These individuals are often left wondering how they got to suffer from cancer having never smoked a day in their lives.
Another aspect of second hand smoke is the fact that it pollutes the atmosphere. Smokers the world over have had to zone into predetermined encapsulated areas by their authorities so as to ensure that it is only specific areas that get to have the smoke. These cordoned off areas have a common underlying belly of possessing a distinct smell. This smell coupled with the actual smoke are what pollute the atmosphere.
The mere fact that these smokers have cordoned off smoking zones does not take away from the fact that the cigarette smoke and smell spreads into other areas. It is also important to note that these smoking zones are not islands cut away from everyone else but actual parts of the city cordoned off. It is only evident that when people pass by these smoking zones, they get into contact with second hand smoke.
Second hand smoke is a source of disturbance if nothing else because the smell from the cigarettes sticks to clothing if you happen to get into contact with it. Individuals who cannot stand the smell are left at a loss as to how to go about their predicament as the smell is constantly in their clothes for the whole day up until they get to wash the clothes.
Second hand smoke is a pollutant to the atmosphere while at the same time being the source of a dangerous health risk to the general populous.
Smoking has become a major problem, especially, in those areas that as densely populated. Some people are addicted to smoking, and they cannot be isolated from non-smokers. The problem is the conflict that arises between smokers enjoying their cigarettes in areas where non-smokers live.
In order to prepare an argumentative essay on smoking in public places, the writer must consider several factors:
- One of these factors is the laws and regulations that govern any country. The writer needs to read extensively relevant materials that explain what the law of the land is regarding smoking. Some countries allow smokers and nonsmokers to mix without any problem, regardless of whether one is smoking in congested areas or not. In such countries, smokers are expected make ethical decisions and think about the effect of their smoke on the people who do not smoke.
- Another point the argumentative essay should explain is whether there is any law that forbids smokers from using cigarettes in public. In such countries, the law explains where smoking zones are located, if any, and the punishment that smokers should face if they break the law by smoking in non-smoking zones.
- In any argumentative essay, the writer should be able to show the contradicting views of people. For instance, in the argumentative essay on smoking in public places, the writer should explain what the consequences are for not setting up smoking zones. The reason is that some people may argue that smoking in public places has no negative effects that warrant its ban, while others may argue out that smoking in public places is so bad and dangerous that governments should ban it completely in towns.
- The writer should not present just the legislation, or desired future legislation. This does not get to the root of the argument, it rather illustrates that there is an argument. What are needed are the clear roots of the argument to be exposed and debated. These roots are primarily based in health concerns. The claims that second hand smoke leads to serious health problems must be the strong focus. Voices for and against this position must be clearly presented. In addition, you must back legal arguments using the legal framework in existence in good detail. Generalizations of the laws and their background will not be strong enough. The essay should not consider only one side of the debate, as this is a major clash between millions of people and governments worldwide. It is emotive, and controversial.
- One can also add the major economic consequences of smoking and not smoking. Governments raise enormous amounts of tax on cigarette sales, hundreds of thousands of people work in the cigarette industry directly and millions indirectly. This versus the cost to the economy of smoking related diseases will add an interesting dimension to the argument.
Following such steps will help you write a powerful and successful essay. If you still need assistance – you can get a custom argumentative essay at CustomWritings.com.
5.00 avg. rating (91% score) - 1 vote
Tags: argumentative essays, Smoking in Public Places essay